Saturday, May 5, 2012

Intergalactic



"If you can feel what I'm feeling then it's a musical masterpiece / If you can hear what I'm dealing with then that's cool at least / What's running through my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown from the way that I talk" - "Pass The Mic", Adam Yauch, 1964-2012


Back in 2000, Princess Kuttz and I skipped school and traveled to the Chinese Embassy in New York City to march in a Free Tibet protest (we did NOT get permission from our parents). While we were there, the one and only MCA from the Beastie Boys showed up to protest too! Princess Kuttz is the biggest Beastie Boys fan I know. I remember when she noticed that MCA was at the protest. She tugged on my sleeve and just pointed to him while she held her breath from the excitement. It was so surreal but we were too awestruck to ask for an autograph (and also wanted to respect his privacy since he was with his wife and toddler). It still remains one of my favorite memories from high school. 

I thought of Kuttz and our silly Beastie Boys music videos and that magical day in NYC as soon as I heard the news about MCA's passing. Watching the videos heals a little bit of the pain I feel from seeing another one of my idols die too young. This blog is turning into a memoriam...I'm sick of burying my heroes ;-(


Big ups to MCA - not only a great artist but a truly remarkable human being who didn't just talk the talk but walked the walk. Rest in peace Adam.




1999

No comments:

Post a Comment