Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Love To Love You, Donna.


"Because I'm just an ordinary person that did some extraordinary things." 
- Donna Summer, 1948-2012.

I can't believe I have to bury another one of my idols today - Disco Queen Donna Summer. Her untimely death strikes deep - especially on the heels of MCA passing. Man, seriously FUCK CANCER. It's getting harder and harder for me to keep writing these memorials. I can't take another one of my divas dying. It's too much for my heart...it hurts to see all these talented, kind and generous people taken from us too soon.

Donna Summer was one of the greats - I am so thankful for what her legacy has brought to the pop world. Before Madonna, before Britney - there was Donna Summer. She paved the way for electronic dance music and was the original "bad girl". I used to borrow my bicurious (ex) boyfriend's vinyl copy of Bad Girls and listen to it over and over. It was the first dance record I heard where all the music looped continuously and it blew.my.MIND. She still remains one of my biggest influences. I loved how she was glamorous and sex-positive and strong and yet still kept it so so classy.

I posted this video back in August 2009 but I'm re-posting it in honor of Donna. My inspiration was Julia Robert's character in Pretty Woman.

I love you and I miss you so much already. Rest in Peace, Queen.



2005

No comments:

Post a Comment